Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My Cousin Vinnie and Conflict Resolution--Movies

I know, I know, I'm supposed to call them FILMS.

Anyway, I'm on the hunt for flicks that demonstrate functionality and/or dysfunctionality. The kinds of things I talked about ad nauseum on T. D.'s Annecdotes, Rants and Occasional Lectures Think about movies you've seen, the ones that made an impact.

An example of what I'm looking for is a scene from the movie MY COUSIN VINNIE. The scene demonstrates marvelous conflict resolution. Vinnie (Joe Pesci)and his fiance (Marisa Tomei) are arguing in a motel room. One of them can't sleep because of a drip in the bathroom.

They argue it out until they have both said everything possible that there is to say about water dripping from a bathroom sink. It is fabulous. If I can, I'll get a transcript of the scene.

But try to imagine that as she is telling him her perception of the problem, that he gets it. A light bulb goes off in his head because he's LISTENING, a novel concept, I know. But he sees her point, and as this happens, you can actually watch his love and admiration for her grow. The fight is hilarious and heartwarming.

The point is, they argue, they get closer.

That's what emotional intimacy is all about.

LMK your favorites, or the ones that made you cry. Use the COMMENTS section below, or email me, Therapydoc@gmail.com.

I'll keep it confidential if you'd like. Comment writing on blogs is generally kind of short, so respect the culture. If you're a professional movie critic, of course, feel free to blog on.

Best, Therapy Doc (T.D.)

No comments: